Sunday, November 1, 2015

the Fab Four meet their +1

It was delightful to welcome little Arlo as a mama & daddy but even more delightful to introduce the Fab Four to their plus 1. It was a sweet moment. Here's the whole crew...


Since we were settled into our "home away from home" around dinner time following Arlo's arrival, my Dad brought Charlotte up all by herself to meet him. For weeks she had been telling us that once he was born she did not want to see him via FaceTime...even his little baby feet. She wanted it to be a surprise & boy did she have quite the grin when the time came to lay eyes on her newest baby brother! I'm pretty sure she slept with a huge smile on her face. Char is an expert baby holder having gained most of her experience at age 3 when her twin baby brothers were born. She scooped him right up & started talking to him....absolutely precious. She would have spent the night with us had we invited her. 

Mid morning the following day they all arrived to to meet the little guy & the excitement was impossible to contain. They quickly flocked to the guy with the baby. SO cute. 


Owen & Anson were thrilled to see the DART rail outside our window so they were occupied no matter which direction they were facing. I do love this picture of all my Valentine boys.....



Then came time for holding...Anson on left & Owen on right. I even had to do a double take to verify identity ; ) 




What a silly & happy bunch! Some of mine & Rob's favorite things about the following picture: Owee's token grin with squinty eyes, Anson & his cheese ball smile, Charlotte (looking extremely old) & her confidence, the way Lolo is snuggled on Char's shoulder & Arlo with his hand over his mouth thinking "What is happening? My life seemed so calm five minutes ago!"

He handled all the "nuggles" well before we said goodbye to the bubbies & sissies. He spent lots of time looking around & at us...the calmest of the crew.

Eloise was right. Baby feet are the best!

Our time in the hospital went really well. We weren't super excited about the food after our stays at Winnie Palmer Hospital so we had fun ordering out lunch/dinner or picking up a Starbucks vanilla latte & delicious breakfast sandwich from downstairs. We kept joking saying we were on vacation. When my childhood friend Lisa & her mom stopped by they surprised us with a box of a dozen Snicker-doodles from Tiff's Treats. They are the best cookies I have ever had. We rationed them & did not share with anyone ; ) I put a wink face but really, it was serious business to guard them.

Our room was strangely quiet even with the cry of a newborn.  I was a bit anxious to get back to the Nest but we decided to stay overnight the second night. I actually rested really well (when I was asleep) & was up bright & early, showered, dressed & ready to get home to the rest of our brood. We loved our time with our newest addition knowing that once we arrived home he would have to be shared.

Over all it was a completely different experience this time around following Owen & Ansons' birth. They went straight to the NICU where they stayed for nearly a month. Having a healthy baby boy in our arms was such a joy & we spent plenty of time just marveling over his sweetness. It is always incredible to think about the intricate fashioning of a baby in the womb that grows from something smaller than the human eye can see to a newborn that one minute is on the inside & the next minute in your arms. I love watching their little wiggles & laughing about seeing certain movements I felt while they were in the womb. I'm not sure I ever get tired of staring at one of my babies although as they get older, I like to stare when they are asleep.  That might sound creepy but it's not, I am their mother ; )

Here we are the final morning with the little guy ready to head home.

We loaded him up in the big red truck we bought just months after we married. Arlo's sisters & brothers all came home in it too. The girls were playing outside when we arrived & could not hide their excitement! I love how Elo is holding Arlo's foot : ) We had a few minutes with just them before Owen & Anson arrived with Grammy, Papa & Gigi. All the "big kids" & "four legged kids" were well cared for while we were in the hospital. My parents with the girls & the Valentines with the boys. Our house was spic & span thanks to my mama. Bob picked up some lunch for us that I scarfed down....I've been so hungry lately feeding another baby! 




And just like that, we became The Valentine Seven. Back at the Nest it has been wonderful to be together. Hectic & loud at many times but looking around at the faces of five little ones makes us smile. We are so very thankful for our newest bundle and are all transitioning well into a slightly different pace. A different pace that offers plenty of time for snuggles with Arlo.

No comments:

Post a Comment