Monday, May 15, 2017

When push comes to mud

I have a love-hate relationship with mud which is not the case with four of the five little Valentines. My orders when I lock them out in the backyard usually include "Do NOT make mud & do not hang on Arlo's swing & do not dig in that one spot that Daddy always gets onto you for destroying any chance at growing grass & do not rip the flowers out when you succumb to a wild lizard hunt." I hate when I'm full of rules & regulations but there have to be some.... especially when it comes to mud! I only "lock" them in the backyard to keep Arlo inside with me since he can open the door & it is currently driving me crazy!
 
A few things that must be present to convince me I'm up for the muddy mess are as follows: warm enough weather to strip down & hose off in the yard, an empty washing machine ready to take on a big load, at least a few minutes to scrub mud off the backdoor windows, and on this day the most important box to check was having a camera on hand.
 
I gave the go ahead & they went to town. It was a joy filled bit of time full of laughter not only between them but also with me.
 

 



by far my favorite picture


Arlo & Bella Blue were a little concerned....

Once Owen swiped his cheek with a glob of mud he realized it was quite fun.

It was that good thick mud (if you couldn't tell) that hardens in record time in 85 degree weather.  It was like peeling off a mask as I attempted to clean up Eloise, my aboriginal child. With all the clean up I figured it was worth everyone's skin being exfoliated...maybe I will join in next time. I say that jokingly but it could be really fun. I love when I jump into whatever they are doing & they are totally surprised although then I feel guilty that I don't do it more often.
 
It's easy to be busy & not allow time for messes. It's easy (and not looked down upon around here) to tell them they all have to sit down & watch a TV show so they will stop causing trouble. I feel so ridiculous when they are begging to play outside but I know things will go south very fast while I attempt to cook dinner so I force them to zone out. We say "use tv as a tool" & on some weeks it is an abused tool ; ) All that to say, when push comes to mud there are sure to be dirty but smiling faces!

No comments:

Post a Comment