Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Celebrating Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving week was quite enjoyable for a multitude of reasons. One at the top of the list was that Rob was not too busy at work early in the week & then was off starting Wednesday. It is amazing to have a full timer to tag team home/child management with! We did a whole lot of relaxing around the house & it was lovely. 

We woke up Thanksgiving morning with two little ladies snuggled between us. It was one of those nights where we just wanted to sleep & we didn't care who was sleeping with us. As a result of that decision, we were in bed till after 7 which rarely happens when they are in their own beds so it was a good start to a great day! We stayed in our jammies till lunch moving from the bed to the couch for some Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade watching. Even Bella girl participated!

Rob & I cooked up some of the best sausage balls we have had in a long time & my Grandmother Alene's delicious angel biscuits.  I had the chocolate pie recipe staring me in the face to remind me to make it too : )

I got cozy with the girls once the little guys were back down for a nap. Robby served up the sausage balls in the shape of a heart, perfectly suited for the Valentine chickadees.

Eloise has this habit where she takes a bite out of each one & puts it back on the plate.....

She also has the habit of performing mouth to mouth resuscitation on her brothers at least once every day.....

We were tired of being cooped up by lunch time so we put on our "winter gear" to go for a walk in the 60 degree weather. It felt amazing!

Owen on the left, Anson on the right

We made it over to the field next to our house in enough time for the girls to do some exploring with their big strong daddy. This made me excited for our upcoming squirrel hunt! 


After a walk & light lunch, we got the kids (minus Char) down for naps. I then put myself down for my pre- work nap which is ALWAYS amazing. I slept for a few hours & awoke to the smell of some delicious homemade Chicken Noodle Soup.  I kissed everyone goodnight & left for work by 6. It was an enjoyable night, not too wild but busy enough to stay awake ; ) I did deliver one little turkey just before midnight to a sweet couple I enjoyed taking care of. 

I was home by 8, scarfed down a breakfast sandwich, whipped up some chocolate pie for our Thanksgiving Friday dinner & hit the sack by 9:30. The weekly routine is for Rob & the kids to pick up Chick-a-LAY (as the girls say) for lunch. I felt rested & excited to get ready for our evening. 

Since being in Florida, we have hosted a Thanksgiving meal every year & were planning to again with some friends from our small group.  One of the ladies LouSena called about a week prior & offered to host....I answered "yes" before she finished the question ; ) It was such a gift to take a side dish & dessert instead of cleaning before & after along with making the turkey! 

We headed over around 4 with our crew + two pack n' plays, a fan, two high chairs & plenty of baby food to keep the littlest of the bunch happy. We don't travel light these days! 

Dean & LouSena's home backs up to a golf course which made for an easy place to take a quick family photo. Boy is it hard to get everyone to look at the same time! Little O was looking at that wet ground hoping we weren't going to set him back down again. 

The girls got comfy (& silly) in the swinging chair out on the patio....



The boys were happy as they could be eating some sweet potatoes, peas & cheerios.  A typical Thanksgiving meal for an almost 9 month old right?
Anson...I could just eat him up. 

Owen getting some tickles from his sis.
The lovely couples that joined us in celebrating Thanksgiving one day late....
Josh & Lindsay

Don & Cathy
LouSena & Dean

Us 
and 5 out of the 7 precious children. The baby boys went to bed at six when we sat down to eat. These five snuggled up on the couch to watch a movie & within the hour the big girls came out to report that Charlotte was sound asleep.  Poor girl can't stay awake for a night time movie to save her life...I think she got that from me ; )
Clara, Eloise, Charlotte, Anna & Alex
Our meal was delicious with all the classic side dishes. What was better than the food was the laughter among friends. We miss our family dearly but are thankful for the many friends we have shared holidays with over the years.

1 comment: