A couple weeks ago, the kids & I loaded up on a Saturday morning to spend the day with G Gran. I was imagining our typical day spent there playing, resting & enjoying lunch together before goodbye hugs but when we arrived we realized it was all of those things to the max!
She had the picnic table set up with her homemade sign & a big pot with a bag of potting soil & some flowers that needed a new home. Oh what fun the day held for these four & me too : )
With so very many helpful hands, there might have been just as much potting soil on the concrete as there was in the pot but G Gran didn't mind at all. She is much more laid back than me probably because she raised her own four girls, has seven grown grandchildren & seven (soon to be nine) great grandchildren. Maybe after all that, I can relax a little bit too ; ) My guess is she has seen it all & there is nothing to let your blood pressure sky rocket from.
With all that soil covering hands & feet, she let the super soaker hose come out. It was a little difficult to help the buys understand how to hold the nozzle in the correct direction so we were wet too but it felt amazing since it was a sunshine filled day! Eloise spent a good 20 minutes watering all of G Grans flowers by her porch. She loves "special" jobs that she can do well.
While the kiddos were still getting wet, G Gran called each one over to place their lunch order for her outdoor diner. Her menu (also hand drawn) could not have been any cuter & they loved picking out everything that looked yummy which ended up being some of every fruit & a main dish & a half. If you notice in the picture below, she even had the shirt on to prove that the owner is also the chef. It was pretty darn good service & soon enough lunch was being served.
The Fab Four was so impressed with the service & 2 juice boxes each they decided to repay G Gran by sweeping her patio. My children are OBSESSED with brooms....at least these three are...
After our busy few hours outside, the sweeper team crashed for some good long naps. G Gran & Char snuggled up together to enjoy a movie & their Chips Ahoy chocolate chip cookies that are a staple item in the pantry we have become accustomed to in the past year. I made the quick trip over to Schlotzsky's to pick up some sandwiches for us grown ups. I LOVE that place or rather I love their Angus beef & cheddar sandwich with mayo & shredded lettuce on a sourdough bun followed by a sugar cookie. I have been abiding with the "pregnancy law" of eating deli meat only if it has been heated & this restaurant offers my favorite heated sandwich. I got one in May when Bob, my father-in-law took me by to get one. He could not stop laughing when he realized I ate the entire sandwich in about 5 minutes after getting in the car before saying I could eat another. He expected that I would wait till we got home. They are that good! After lunch, I even got to go to the grocery store alone before laying down on the couch to put my feet up.
It was a wonderful day spending time with a woman we love, enjoying a nest that I enjoyed as a child & heading home with stinky, smelly kids that required baths. That in itself is a sign of a good day.

No comments:
Post a Comment