Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Another fun 4th!

The 4th of July was our first official holiday to celebrate in the new house. We were in the mood for a low key kind of day that started with a long walk/scooter ride & ended with attempting to do sparklers with five kids 6 & under. In the "between" we enjoyed time with friends & a rowdy game of kickball. Now that I'm thinking about it one month post party, it really got started around 2 am when Robby got the smoker going with brisket & pork shoulder. I was up around 4 or 5 with a kiddo & observed some of the most intense lightning I had seen since we left Florida. I ran downstairs to make sure Robby had not been struck as he ran back & forth to the smoker which would make the perfect conductor of electricity! He was alive & well & the meat was cookin' so I went back to sleep until the next kid woke up.
 
By early evening we were ready to welcome our guests which came bearing the most delicious of foods. Here we are with almost everyone smiling! Babies get a pass if they are looking in the general direction of the camera right?

We had these awesome people to share in the celebrating. Patti & David + Jessica, Dave & the adorable baby Grayson who was born in May. What a great combo!
 
Along with our tasty meal we set up our plastic plates as bases & were ready for another game of kickball. The bounce house was open for business as well & our kids were happy campers!
 
There are many things we are so thankful to have in our new home. Near the top of the list is a backyard with lots of room to run & NO mud!!

 
The players were pretty adorable...
 


some liked bouncing more than playing...




Anson absolutely loved playing & along with the rest of the kids were learning how to play the game correctly. There was a lot of encouragement from the coaches : ) We love how he runs with one arm tucked next to his body. I was playing shortstop when he took off from home plate running as fast his little legs could carry him, serious look on his face & saying under his breath "run to second, run to second, run to second." Oh my goodness, he was SO cute & there was no way on earth I would have corrected him & sent him back to 1st! Since there was a lot of confusion we often ended up with two or even three children on a base....still so cute.

If there was a picture of Arlo it would be him crashed in his bed from about 6pm on. Maybe next year he can make it to the fireworks or at least till dinner  ; )

Our evening ended with s'mores which sounded like a great idea until the fire heated us up to about 120 degrees! They were delicious though & so much safer with Owen & Anson than even a few months ago. The boys were the first to try a super long sparkler...very fun but they took FOREVER when four kids wanted to have a try!  I'm not sure if we bathed any sweaty, stinky kids before bed. I'm pretty sure we didn't since they hit the "wired equals tired" phase.  If I said I washed the sheets the next day I'd be lying.

 
When I pulled out massive quantities of clothes, notebooks, legos & a lot of trash from under Charlotte's bed last week I came across something she wrote....
 
 
It was a great day especially compared to the year we moved here when Robby was a few days post-op from his ruptured appendix. It doesn't take much to beat that ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment