Monday, May 2, 2011

Beginnings of a Master Bedroom Makover

We have had a king size bed for about 6 years. We had a quilt & bed skirt that I bought for super cheap & planned to use for a short time. The short time lasted about 5 years until I came upon a quilt that I really liked the color & pattern. So, that was added to our room about 7 months ago. Between getting the king size bed & the new quilt, we moved to Florida. Our room is larger than before which we are very thankful for but is left looking a little bare with plain colored walls & not alot of furniture. I have this huge desire to make our bedroom a retreat for the two of us.

It is a slow going process (that I actually really enjoy) to decorate the house on a small budget. Once I started learning to sew, I thought it would be fun to eventually make curtains for our room. I, with my expensive taste ripped this picture out of a Pottery Barn catalogue. I new immediately I could never bring myself to spend that much on curtains but showed it to my mom & she said that it would be super easy to make. We took on the challenge!



In one afternoon, we made the curtains & then hung them that night. She was right, it was simple! Robby and I are pleased with the way they turned out. It makes the room feel more cozy & inviting for sure.





Cost Comparison:


Pottery Barn


  • each drape $69

  • each curtain rod $79

  • holdbacks (set of 2) $30

TOTAL - $336


What we actually did



  • total fabric $54

  • each curtain rod $9.99 at TJ Maxx

  • holdbacks (set of 2) $13 at Bed, Bath & Beyond with coupon

TOTAL- $87


I do realize it is not identical to Pottery Barn but we really like them & there is some fleeting satisfaction in finding a deal & doing it yourself!


So, next on the not so Extreme Bedroom Makeover:



  • Robby building our bed probably like this & 2 night stands (style yet to be determined)

  • a fresh coat of paint, most likely a shade of blue

  • pictures frames, a couple vases & some flowers

The timeline is definitely up in the air with what we plan on doing this summer : ) The end result will be worth the wait.

1 comment:

  1. The bed you like is exactly what we have :) I love the curtains and the paint choice.

    ReplyDelete