Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Eloise, we love your name...


We finally decided upon "Hope" for a middle name for Eloise. We have been pretty sure that was what we were going to choose for at least a month or two but made it official by gluing the letters onto this lovely fabric covered square that will hang in her room ; )



Charlotte & Eloise are both names that we loved the way they sounded more than the meaning. Charlotte means "petite & womanly" & Eloise means "healthy & wide." We decided that we would choose middle names with a specific meaning.



Charlotte was given the middle name "Grace." Here is John Piper's definition of grace: "grace is God's disposition to choose and bless his people without respect to their works. It is God's free goodness toward people who have no rightful claim on him at all. " Robby & I have experienced the grace of God in the way He called us out of darkness & into a relationship with himself. We also experienced His grace in being blessed with a child after a time of waiting. We still feel undeserving & so very thankful for the abundant blessings he gives us. We pray that Charlotte will experience God's grace as we have & have the opportunity to share about Jesus with others.



Eloise has been given the middle name "Hope." Here is John Piper's definition of hope: "Biblical hope not only desires something good for the future; it expects it to happen. And it not only expects it to happen; it is confident that it will happen. There is a moral certainty that the good we expect and desire will be done. " So, the Hope that sustains me is the certainity that Christ has paid the price for my sin & brought me into a right relationship with God which I will experience for eternity. We are praying that Eloise would experience a deep rooted hope in God.



As I am writing tonight, Charlotte is snuggled up in her bed (with all her babies, stuffed animals & blankies) & Robby along with Bennett & Bella are asleep on the couch across from me. Eloise is WIDE awake doing flips inside my belly. I am smiling with tears rolling down my face. In this moment, I am remided of this:



When Charlotte was less than a month old, I was riding in the car singing a song to her by Sara Groves called "He's Always Been Faithful." She has heard this song more times than we can count but here are the lyrics that brought me to tears that day:



This is my anthem, this is my song. The theme of the stories I've heard for so long. God has been faithful, he will be again, His loving compassion, it knows no end. All I have need of, His hand will provide. He's always been faithful to me.



We have prayed throughout our entire marriage for the blessing of children. Through the pain & suffering of waiting for a baby, the Lord brought us near to Him. He helped us understand that His way is always the best way because it brings glory to Him & good to us. As I sang this song to Charlotte that day, I began crying & could barely finish the song when I got to "God has been faithful, He will be again." There was not a promise from God that I would bear more children but more so, a promise that He has been & will always be faithful to me.



In this case, He chose to show His faithfulness in once again,



giving us the desire of our hearts,



Eloise Hope Valentine

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful. Thank you for always being willing to share your inspring story of God's faithfulness :)

    ReplyDelete