Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Expecting the Unexpected: 24 week update

Christmas Day with the boys very first Christmas ornaments.  They are cowboy boots that say "My heroes have always been cowboys" & were given to us by our sweet friends Sadee & Aaron.  Sadee wrote on the back of each one a message to the boys letting them know how much they are already loved & prayed for. 

24 weeks is a lovely mark to reach in a pregnancy.  Even though they are still so tiny, Owen & Anson could survive outside the womb! I will be 25 weeks Friday, even better : )

We had a decent appointment this morning with the specialist, had a quick bite to eat at our new favorite Mexican restaurant then headed over to Dr. Peppy's office.

Summary of all the findings of the day:

  • Owen now weighs 1 pound 4 ounces, Anson is 1 pound 14 ounces
  • The weight discordance changed from 30% to 33%, still concerning but we are thankful it did not change more drastically.  Keep in mind too that the general deviation with measurements is 10-15% so it could be changing or staying about the same. 
  • The fluid is looking FABULOUS as Anson maintains on the high end of normal & Owen has left the low end of normal and settled into just over the middle mark!
  • Doppler studies- basically these measure blood flow from placenta to each baby. Anson's is the same as the past two weeks, Owen's is slightly worse. 
  • They were breech & cephalic, then both breech, then back to breech & cephalic...all over the course of 40 minutes....crazy boys!
  • Thanks to all the red meat & the protein drinks multiple times a day (& possibly some Christmas cookies)  this mama gained about 6 pounds in 2 weeks : ) I am a pound away from a 30 pound weight gain...onward & upward!
  • No diagnosis of TTTS as it looks more like Unequal Placental Sharing right now
From what we gather, it looks like our little Owen is calling the shots.  If he decides to stop growing,  they will be born.  This could be as early as two weeks from now but we are praying for longer in the womb. 25 weeks is still REALLY early, 28 weeks is a great mark to pass & 32 weeks would just be awesome! Just in case they decide to make their debut on the early side, I received a dose of a steroid to help their lungs mature more quickly. I will swing by the office tomorrow afternoon for dose #2.  I have given this medication countless times to women in preterm labor....lets just say that I will be a little more sensitive to their reaction when they get that sharp poke followed by a burning sensation in their tush! OUCH! I have a feeling I might be sleeping on my left side tonight since the right is a wee bit sore ; ) 

One other change that I meant to include last week is that I started my leave from work on the 20th.  With the need to spend more time lying down (and since it is frowned upon to ask your patient to move over in her labor bed when it is time for an afternoon nap), and also to avoid unnecessary contractions/cervical change, it was best to call it quits for now. Once I reach 27-28 weeks, if all is well & agreed upon by doctors, I may pick up a shift a week on a floor where I can sit & watch fetal monitoring strips.  Only time will tell.  I am SO thankful for a team of ladies from L&D who care deeply about our family, for my specific needs in a high risk pregnancy & for those in management who are beyond supportive.  May sound silly but I already miss it : )  

We were thankful to hear the news that for this week, Owen & Anson are stable. It has been a rough week at The Valentine Nest as we have been dealing with our first four legged addition to the family who has been very sick.  There have been many tears shed & unless Bennett makes a big turn around over night we will be having him put to sleep tomorrow : ( More details to come...

What a crazy last quarter of 2012 it has been for us, our family & friends who are on this crazy roller coaster ride of emotion right along side us.  We are so grateful for God's continued provision & for remaining near to us as we are hurting.  We are thankful for the moments of conversation between myself & Rob that make bearing the load as mommy & daddy (& dog owner) a lot easier.  We are thankful that we had my brother here for the entirety of Bennett's downfall. Scott provided so much assistance in keeping things moving along in the house, caring for the girls & just making us laugh. We are thankful that we have friends that jumped in to watch the girls today & tomorrow, a family who cooked us dinner tonight & even a doctor today who genuinely shared in our sorrow.  Please pray not only for these baby boys but for our family as a whole right now.  Thank you. 

1 comment:

  1. Lauren, I have a friend who has twin boys who has TTTS, and although she had to stay in the hopsital for awhile, she has two energetic 3 year old boys now. Praying for you and the family. Also, read your other post, and I am hurting with you. Sorry, friend.

    ReplyDelete