Robby's Grandma Virginia, his mom's mom was 100% polish & in honor of the family heritage, Bob & Jeannine, Robby's parents decided to set aside a day each year to make pierogies. This tradition has been going for at least 5 years in Dallas, maybe more. Last year, the Valentine's were at our house and hosted Pierogi Day with us as the helpers. This year was our first attempt at running the show. All said & done, it was a little more work than anticipated but so much fun!
We had nearly 40 people & made about 240 pierogies which were enjoyed with a delicious spread of sides including a few Polish dishes: red cabbage, chocolate babka & kielbasa shipped by Grandma Virginia from The Polish Place Butcher Shop in Detroit, Michigan. All of our cooking & eating was accompanied with Polka music that we have stuck in our head for weeks following ; )
Here are some snapshots of the day.....
The 3 of us (4 if you count growing baby in belly)
Bella Blue in her "You bet your Pierogi I'm Polish" shirt. She wore it all day!
Here are Charlotte & Karis in their adorable shirts their creative mothers made them ; ) Aunt Jenny surprised us with the matching bows!
Our neighbors Hugo, Juanita & Matilda joined us for the festivities. Their family moved here from Colombia & Juanita surprised us by revealing that she is part Polish as well!
And just for one last laugh, when one child arrived, she placed a sticker randomly on Charlotte's shirt. Our little Polish Chick became a Polish Hick in a split second.
We celebrated Jenny's 27th Birthday in the midst of Pierogi Day. She looked stunning in Charlotte's feather boa as we sang Happy Birthday : )
An amazing crew stayed after and tagged team whipping the kitchen & living area back in to working order. It was a DISASTER! Once it was all done, we spent the afternoon relaxing and definitely went to be long before 2011 began. I miss living in Texas where I could just stay up until 11pm & watch the ball drop in New York. I probably wouldn't even make it until then these days but it is a nice thought to think I would enjoy it ; )
The year would be incomplete without Pierogi Day & we cannot WAIT until next year when the Valentine's will be here to celebrate with us! We are wondering if we can reuse a "Polish Chick" shirt on Baby Valentine #2 or if we will, as Uncle Steve said, have to turn it into "Polish Chick Magnet." Both would be cute right?





Pierogi Day was AWESOME!!! You all ROCK!!!! We had a blast. I can't wait to hear what shirt Baby Valentine #2 is going to need for next year. :D
ReplyDeleteTwo comments: Bob is not part Polish and he buys himself a shirt...not right, I'm just sayin' ;) Ha!
ReplyDeleteAnd I'm 27...not 29 or 28, don't forget for next year...hehe!
I Like your post Lala!