Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Big Girl Bed - Part 1 - the bed

I am so excited about this project I can hardly keep from screaming! After much debate, we decided to go ahead with getting Charlotte into a big girl bed before the arrival of Eloise.

A little background.......I became hooked on this website & am constantly finding projects for my handy husband to complete. About the handy husband, he LOVES his time in the garage & does an incredible job when I just leave him alone ; ) Really though, after he drew up his own plans and built the cradle, he keeps surprising me with his growing expertise. I did mention on his Birthday Post that one thing I love about him is his passion for whatever he is doing. He is definitely passionate when immersed in a woodworking project!

Out of the growing amount of projects, Char's new bed was first on the list! I am always drawn to the style of Pottery Barn Furniture but am not too fond of the price tag! We have been talking about building bedroom furniture for us on & off for for the past 5 years or so & finally came across a plan we loved. This happens to be the same bed but miniaturized ; ) Built to look like the Farmhouse Bed, the style is super cute. Here we go......I wish I would have taken some pictures of it as it was getting put together but honestly, he built it super fast so the pictures start here!

Sanding away!


The handy husband himself with the almost completed bed for his girlie pie

All moved in & set up



This pretty much expresses how Charlotte feels about her new bed & her awesome dad......

As far as sleeping in the new bed goes, we actually haven't tried it yet. Our goal is to start next week sometime. Charlotte loves to sleep so we are hoping that she continues to be this way when not confined : ) For now, her favorite thing to do is pile up as many books as possible on her bed then position herself perfectly between the owls so all three can see while looking at her books.

We can't believe that a new baby girl will be needing a place to sleep in our home in a short two months! Time is flying & thankfully I have finally gotten in the mood & knocked out a few crafts/sewing projects & will post about them sometime in the near future.

Thanks Rob for working so hard to make it look the way I was imagining. You did an incredible job & I will never get over how cute it is. I hope we have plenty of little ones that will use it at some point : ) For now, if you have any tips on transitioning from a crib to bed, please send them our way!

7 comments:

  1. I love it!!! The blue works beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sooooo adorable! Yay for handy husbands! Love it! Good luck with the transition from crib to bed. Since Charlotte is such a good sleeper, I bet she will do great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! We just did Ella's "big girl bed and room" and I almost went with a very very similar owl pattern, which was my favorite, until Ella insisted on her own color choices. Hah! The bed is awesome-way to go! As far as transitioning, we just started on Monday and it's gone way easier than I expected (3 nights without her leaving the room to come find us) and I bet it will for you too (Ella's 21 months). I can tell Charlotte is excited about her new bed, so y'all are already laying the groundwork for her being comfortable to move beds. If you have trouble getting her to stay in, then you can always try one of those clocks that changes color/scenes when it's ok for her to be awake and around the house. :) Ella has definitely figured out how to open and close doors, but she's only given me trouble during nap time, not at night. Let me know if you have difficulty and maybe I can share more tips. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow! I am so impressed! As for transitioning, I highly recommend eventually put a childproof knob on the inside of her bedroom. Zoey did really well for awhile, but when she really figured out that she could leave her room whenever she wanted, it was crazy! She was getting up constantly even with spankings. We kept the child knob on until we potty trained. Another reason that we put the knob on is because she started getting up super early. We opted to put the knob on instead of a clock, because we simply didn't have a clock, but we already had the know. Once she figured that she could not leaver her room whenever she wanted, she went back to her normal sleep routine. Good luck! She looks so cute in her bed! And I love the bedding! That is what I had picked for Zoey for her really big bed, but she has a passion for purple, so we will be getting purple bedding instead!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Impressive!!! Nothing like a creative husband!! I've been married to one 29 years. Bless you all!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE it! It turned out so well and looks great in the room. Levi transitioned well to his big boy bed, so I'm sure Char will do great cause she is a WAY better sleeper than him! I have found that sitting down and talking about staying in bed all night and waiting until it is sunny in his room to get out of bed has been good for us. I usually remind him that he is going to sleep in his big boy bed all night while it is dark :) Good Luck can't wait to hear how it goes!

    ReplyDelete