.jpg)
We did it...we finally went to Gatorland! It is literally around the corner only a few miles away from our house. We pass it a few times a week while out & about. We always joke & say, "wanna go to Gatorland?" as we drive by & see people posing in the jaws of the massive gator out front. Now we can say that we have been & that we really enjoyed it!
Living in the middle of countless options for entertainment provides for plenty to do when visitors are in town. Disney is expensive, Universal & Sea World are a little less, but Gatorland, it is about the cheapest thing around. We all got in for half the price of a one day pass to Disney! What a deal!
So, we decided to follow suit with all the tourists and take some portraits with (or hanging onto) the gator.
.jpg)
Rob & I are pretty big fans of the show Swamp People. Rob can do quite the impression of multiple characters on the show & aspires to dress up as Bruce for a Swamp People season premier party we may host at some point ; ) He was doing his swamp people talk all morning while my dad couldn't stop singing a first verse of the song Amos Moses. It goes a little something like this...
Now Amos Moses was a Cajun.
He lived by his self in the swamp.
He hunted alligator for livin.
He just knock 'em in the head with a stump.
He lived by his self in the swamp.
He hunted alligator for livin.
He just knock 'em in the head with a stump.
It was good for a laugh & really got us in the mood to spend the day with some gators : ) Jenny & the kiddos met us there & arrived shortly after I attempted to turn on my camera only to realize that my battery was on the charger at home. Rob was quick to offer to go get it for me...so thankful for that.
Right when you walk into the park you are greeted by LOTS of little gators. I was shocked by how many turtles were swimming around with all their limbs attached.
We headed straight over to the show Upclose Encounters where we got to see a tarantula & some snakes
![]() |
| Char and Karis patiently waiting for the show to begin. |
![]() |
| one of the snakes |
My sweet little niece Kar-bear didn't do so well during the show. She pretty much lost it when everyone started applauding a woman who was standing with her eyes closed & arms extended while a large tarantula was unknowingly lowered into her hands. Contrary to most fearful people, Karis was actually more scared of the clapping than the creatures. She did the same thing later that morning before the Gator Jumperoo show even started. So sad....but so cute ; )
.jpg)
For as long as I can remember, I have liked snakes. I have this strange memory of spending the evening with some of my Dad's co-workers when I was in elementary school. I talked off this woman's ear about a Black Mamba that I had recently read a book about. She probably tried to get into a conversation with me about girly stuff but at that point in my life I much preferred tree climbing & snake study over princesses & pink nail polish. Snakes of all sorts interest me. I don't like them surprising me out in the wild but when the opportunity presents itself to be up close to one (with a handler) I take it! My dad paid the $5 for me to hold this Yellow Burmese Python named "Firefly" which I thought was a funny name for a snake. Charlotte was all about it while we waited for our turn but when it came down to the actual holding, she kind of turned into Karis ; )
![]() |
| I love how Charlotte is crying yet still holding onto the snake tail. |
We got to feed some of the gators an afternoon snack of hotdogs. My mom was really into this & made the gator smile. Most people were tearing their hotdogs into pieces while my mom was throwing them whole into his open jaws.
We took a little train ride which may have been the highlight of the day for Karis since no one was clapping.
![]() |
| Isaac took a little snoozy in the Ergo then woke up partway through the ride. |
![]() |
We saw part of the Gator Jumperoo show before getting the girls in their swimsuits so they could play at the splash pad. That lasted for a short time before the whining became unbearable. We packed up & headed home after our fun filled morning in the swamp.
![]() |
| Best we could do...at least the adults are looking and smiling at the same time ; ) |
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
Aww the memories, seriously can't stop laughing about the picture of Karis screaming!
ReplyDeleteoooo my goodness - so great!! now you've convinced me that we need to go to gator land!!! :) and clearly you are now a girly girl snake handler - your headband matches firefly!! well played!! and they should use that pic in their promo material! you guys are all adorable!!
ReplyDeleteHaha Sadee, you are so observant. Call me when you go...maybe we will return!
Delete