The 28th week of this pregnancy is almost gone! We are rejoicing to be closer & closer to a safer time to deliver these sweet boys but are still quite aware of pending complications. One fun thing for week 28 is that my new neighbor & friend Erica took some pictures of our family to document all the growth we are experiencing. I am just including a couple but there are more to come. Such a gift to have something to look back on and see our family (and me) on the verge of bursting!
We had an ultrasound this afternoon following our two week break. It was not fantastic news but was not "cry-worthy" either.
Here is the summary:
- Owen only gained 4oz taking him from 1lb 14oz to 2lb 2oz & back down to the 18th percentile
- Anson packed it on & gained 13oz taking him from 2lb 5oz to 3lb 2oz maintaining his spot in around the 68th percentile.
- This made the discordance greater changing from 19% back to 33%. This was a bit disappointing to hear.
- Thankfully the Dopplers & Fluid Levels are perfect for both buckaroos.
- They were quite active as usual & Dancin' Anson moved back to breech position. That little mover switches back & forth every visit!
We visited with the MFM doctor who was chipper & said "I think you will be able to stay pregnant for awhile longer." That was reassuring to hear! He said that at this point we need to move back to weekly appointments from now until delivery. These appointments will include weekly Biophysical Profiles (BPP) which is basically an assessment of fetal well being in the womb. It assesses fetal heart rate, muscle tone, breathing, movement & amniotic fluid. Both boys passed with flying colors today & we will pray that they continue to due so. Every other week they will check the growth of the boys & as far as this goes, we are back to what we were told previously which is if Owen drops below the 10th percentile & stops growing then they will be born.
Another thing that has come up in the past two weeks is that I failed my 1hr glucose screen & had to do the 3hr test yesterday. I just got a call from my doctor about 5 minutes ago that confirmed I am indeed a gestational diabetic! I dare say how much more complicated can this get? My doctor was actually shocked & we both laughed since he told me when he ordered my first test that he would quit his job if I had gestational diabetes! Thankfully he wasn't serious & he can still deliver the boys : ) He thinks it was the twins that pushed me over the edge. I did read that with twins I am twice as likely to have it so I guess it measures up. Next thing on the agenda for this new diagnosis is attending an educational class on managing gestational diabetes & getting my own little finger pricker to monitor at home. Sadly this means I will be saying farewell to ice cream & cupcakes. I know I am a nurse & an OB nurse at that but I have some brushing up to do on what I should be eating.
We (me, Rob & my mom) took a tour of the NICU at the end of last week. We got to visit with a social worker & a Neonatologist. It was WONDERFUL! We got to peek at some babies that are the same weight as the boys are currently. I was actually picturing them so much smaller than they really are & as I watched them wiggle around in the incubators I thought "no wonder I can't sleep at night!" We were there for a good hour & a half & left feeling so much more comfortable with the possibility of having preemies. The social worker who took us on the tour will be the one assigned to the boys should they need to stay there so it is nice to have a contact person/familiar face. The doctor there reassured us that being over 28 weeks & weighing over 2.2lbs makes a big difference & said it was great that I already received a dose of the steroid to help with their lung maturity. He was very pro breastfeeding which made me excited.
All that to say, we walked out of the office today & Rob said "Well it was fun to have two weeks of feeling great! Back into the woods we go!" Praise the Lord for remaining near to us every step of the way & for continuing to form these little ones just as He desires.
Here are me & my four at week 28....


Oh My! You are just going to experience all the things your patients have to go through aren't you?! I hope that your GDM stays easily manageable!
ReplyDeleteI love the pictures and cannot wait to see more! I am impressed with your beautiful skin and belly...no way Jose would I be showing of my bare belly! Love the pic of your with your 4 kiddos too :) Frame worthy!
So good to talk to you, was that today or yesterday. Boy, it's a strange thing to not be able to remember. These days run together! Those girls of yours are so beautiful and look so healthy. You are such a great mama! Thanks for the update. I think Evalyn must have been yelling when you told me that yesterday on the phone because I totally missed that you have gestational diabetes. I'll be praying that it reverses. Eat LOTS of protein :) I guess instead of two eggs each morning maybe four (torture), since you have two big hungry boys growing in there?? Wow, way to go. And you look AMAZING. How great is God to design pregnancy so perfectly. Hope we can chat again soon:)
ReplyDelete