Friday, May 11, 2012

Oldies but goodies

While we were in Kingwood visiting my family in April we spent lots of time just playing.  My mom saved many of our toys & has them all organized in her attic so she can easily pull out just the right toys for their ages when we come to see her. 

She has added some new toys to the mix with each visit whether she has done a little shopping or borrowed from one of her friends but I think it is safe to say that the "oldies" get the most attention. The favorite by far are the Little People- 80's edition which apparently is considered "vintage" on eBay. I didn't think I was old enough yet to have toys that I played with be considered "vintage" haha! Vintage or not, they were my favorite thing to play with while I was there too & I am on a hunt for a good deal on a set for our house.

The first morning we were there, Charlotte made a bee-line to the container that had these in them, dumped them out & began to arrange to her liking. She is quite particular & lined them up in a straight line. She had no interest in my assistance so I just enjoyed watching her little hands touch each piece. I couldn't help but think about how my little hands did the same thing 25 + years ago. Char wasn't the only one who played with these.  Eloise got ahold of the little buggy & car and began making "vrooom" sounds all on her own. Where do kids learn to do that? It kept her entertained at Carraba's while we waited for our dinner one evening. Aren't they cute? 


Ol Grandma in the high chair ; )
The doggie is snoozing with the little girl : ) I know a doggie or two that would like that!




Another blast from the past that got quite a bit of attention from Eloise was "Baby" who was my very first baby doll. It was pretty sweet to see Elo be motherly for the first time. Charlotte has a few baby dolls but Eloise has never paid them much attention so I was surprised when we really took a liking to Baby. She would pass her back and forth with my mom and they would take turns patting & kissing her. Eloise would most always attempt to mimic whatever her Grandma did....so precious. One afternoon when we were sewing, we sat Elo in her high chair with some O's. She wanted to keep Baby by her side.

Someone's silly bone seems to be growing well ; ) 

I have about 10 books from my childhood that I picked out of a box at my parents before Char was even born.  These are 4 of my favorites that were well read by the Ellis children & now the Valentine's as well.

Just to prove that they belonged to me, I included this photo ; ) 
It is funny to look at the toys the girls have now & think about them being labeled "vintage" in 30 years on eBay (if it's even around anymore).  What will go for top dollar? the Pottery Barn owls that sit on Charlotte's bed? the wooden fruit in their play kitchen? Scout the dog? I mean he is kind of like Teddy Ruxpin but a LOT less scary!

I do love those toys/books & LOVE seeing my girls enjoying them just as we did as young children. I will definitely be collecting a few of our favorites & placing them in a storage bin for grandchildren to use someday. Wow, okay, that statement alone makes me feel a little old ; )

1 comment:

  1. LOVE it! I wish my mom had saved some of my sister and my toys...she saved a bunch of Seth's and it is so cute to watch Levi play with the cars and dinos that I remember Seth playing with. I agree...I will be saving some of the oldies but goodies for my grand kids (hopefully) as well :) yes, we are old :)

    ReplyDelete